Logo of Shura Council of Mujahideen in Derna - Wikipedia
CAIRO –17 November 2017: Egypt’s Attorney General referred the Libyan militant involved in the Giza attack to 15 days in confinement pending investigations, on Friday.
The captured militant, Abdel Rahim Mohamed Abdullah Al-Mismary, was the only survivor of the security raid that tracked fleeing terrorists in the Western Desert near the terror attack scene and left 15 militants and 17 policemen dead.
Mismary, 25, confessed that he joined the Shura Council of Mujahideen in Derna in late 2014 in a statement that aired on Al-Hayah channel, Thursday. The umbrella organization of the Derna-based Islamist factions opposed the Islamic State (IS) terrorist group and the Libyan army, led by Khalifa Haftar.
He pointed out that he participated in planting IEDs that targeted IS militants and Haftar’s troops in Derna, describing his enemies as “infidels.”
Egypt Today delved deeper behind the story of the Mujahideen Shura Council in Derna in Libya’s existence in Egypt, compiling the most important facts about the militants and their history.
1. Like many of the similar groups, the Derna-based group’s main goal is to implement Sharia law in the world
2. Upon its founding, militants bearing the name “Ansar el-Sharia” (the champions of Sharia) that was officially placed in the United Nations’ Security Council’s list of terrorism on November 20, 2014 joined the Derna-Group, along with the Army of Islam militants.
3. The fighters were previously closely allied with the Islamic State (IS) before their top leaders were killed, and fighting broke out between militants from the two sides.
4. The group started to branch out in Egypt after an Egyptian terrorist called Emad Eddin Abdel Hamid or Sheikh Hatem quickly headed the group. He is known as the top assistant to Hisham al-Ashmawy, who was involved in several terrorist acts, most notably the Farafra attack that claimed the lives of 15 Egyptian soldiers on a 2014 Ramadan night.
5. Since then, the militants began to infiltrate Egypt’s desert border and proceeded to attack Egyptians. They are believed to be the executers of the Minya bus attack, where 28 Christians died, including several children.
Leave a Comment