Harvey Weinstein could soon be the subject of a grand jury probe, US media says, amid allegations of rape and sexual assault against the Hollywood producer
NEW YORK - 8 November 2017: Manhattan's district attorney is preparing a criminal case against disgraced Hollywood mogul Harvey Weinstein which he could present to a grand jury as early as next week, US media reported Tuesday.
The reports, quoting anonymous law enforcement officials, came after police confirmed they had a credible rape allegation against the embattled producer and were gathering evidence for a possible arrest warrant.
District Attorney Cyrus Vance plans to present the case to a grand jury and wait for an indictment, NBC television and the New York Post tabloid reported. The move could come as early as next week, they reported.
His office was not immediately reachable for comment Tuesday.
Police referred AFP to the district attorney's office.
"Boardwalk Empire" actress Paz de la Huerta accused Weinstein of raping her twice at her New York apartment in late 2010. Her claims were published in Vanity Fair magazine on Thursday and she has been interviewed by police.
"She put forth a credible and detailed narrative to us," NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce told reporters last Friday.
"We have an actual case here," he added. "Mr Weinstein is out of state. We would need an arrest warrant to arrest him. So right now we're gathering our evidence."
De la Huerta's allegations are at least the third Weinstein case to have been investigated by New York police in recent years. Boyce did not rule out others.
Vance's office, which has been working closely with police, last week assigned a senior sex crimes prosecutor to the case.
Around 100 women have come forward to accuse Weinstein of sexual misconduct since a New York Times expose was published in early October. The accusations range from harassment to rape. Weinstein denies any non-consensual relations.
Leave a Comment