Preliminary Plan of New Mansoura City – File Photo
CAIRO – 12 August 2017: The state has been planning new cities in order to alleviate the load on current ones that have become overpopulated. One of these is New Mansoura City, which is located in the Daqahleya governorate. Governor Ahmed El Shaarawy announced on Saturday that construction would start in the near future.
These are 20 features of the new city:
1) The city will be established next to Gamasa, which is a popular summer holiday destination on the Mediterranean.
2) New Mansoura City will be 54 kilometers from the old Mansoura City, which is the capital of Daqahleya governorate.
3) There will be an electric train connecting both cities. The trip will be 15 minutes long.
4) The city’s capacity will be over 1.5 million citizens.
5) Residential units will only be bought and owned by dwellers of Daqahleya governorate.
6) Branches of all state institutions and authorities will be operating there. All public facilities and services will be available as well.
7) An international competition will be held to select the best design plan.
8) The city will be built on an area of 4,000 feddans (1 feddan = 1,024 acres) between Gamasa and the cities of Damietta and Kafr El Sheikh at a cost of LE 60 billion ($3.4B).
9) The city will comprise of tourist villages, as well as economic, average, and above-average housing, abiding by the old city’s features in terms of the buildings’ height, color, designs, roads and infrastructure.
10) A board of trustees has been formed to follow up with the execution of the projects.
11) The city will add value to the area as a holiday destination, complementing Gamasa.
12) The industrial zone in the area will supply all construction materials, guaranteeing the functioning of the new factories built there.
13) There will be daily pricing for vegetables depending on supply and demand.
14) There will be hotels that serve medical tourism visitors, as Mansoura is well known for treatment of liver diseases.
15) The city will include a corniche with various entertainment means on the Mediterranean.
16) Investments in the city will be subject to an initial public offering (IPO).
17) Residential units will be sold directly to citizens, as no unit will be allocated to certain institutions, authorities or personnel.
18) The Ministry of Petroleum will be exploring oil in an area of 2,000 square meters within the city’s borders.
19) A private university affiliated with Mansoura University will be established and will consist of research centers.
20) President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi will inaugurate the new city when finished.