Facebook defamation: How can I sue someone who bashed me online?



Wed, 19 Jul 2017 - 07:19 GMT


Wed, 19 Jul 2017 - 07:19 GMT

Facebook - CCO via Pixabay

Facebook - CCO via Pixabay

CAIRO -19 July 2017: If someone harasses you or insults you on Facebook, or any other social media platforms. Here are the procedures you should take to sue them, according to Ismail Baraka, lawyer in rebuttal:

1. You should call the General Directorate of Information and Documentation of the Interior Ministry, on 0227921490.

2. Ask to be transferred to the communication officer. Get an appointment with them, then explain your problem.

3. Go to the Ministry of Interior (The new building is located in the Fifth Settlement).

4. File a report with a screenshot of the person who harassed you in any way or form, or report the name of the group or the person’s account.

5. Within 48 hours, all people will be identified from the IP Address.

Baraka noted that in this case, the punishment of the aggressor will be prison or a fine.

Internet crime is regulated by Egypt’s anti-terrorism law issued in 2013, and older legislation such as the penal code and communications law.

There are about 45 million internet users In Egypt, and according to a statement by the head of the Ministry of Interior’s department for fighting computer and information network-related crimes, there are no recorded cases of an individual claiming a legal violation of sanctity or private life.

In May, Parliamentarian Riyad Abdel Sattar demanded shutting down Facebook across the nation and establishing a local social media website instead. He stressed the need to establish a database of Facebook users in Egypt to hold them accountable by law, he stated to Extra News Channel.



Leave a Comment

Be Social