CAIRO - 17 August 2023: The Electricity Law included a number of tasks for the Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company to operate the electricity transmission system in accordance with economic and environmental standards.
The standards guarantee equal opportunities in a manner that preserves the interests of electricity producers and consumers.
For this purpose, it is exclusively empowered to carry out the following tasks:
- Operating the electricity transmission system to achieve efficiency, stability and reliability.
- Managing and maintaining the transmission network, and implementing electricity transmission projects on super and high voltages.
- Transmitting electricity through its networks for a fee proposed by the company according to economic bases and approved by the Agency.
- Allowing connection to the transportation network for a fee proposed by the company according to economic bases and approved by the Agency.
- Procurement of the budget energy required for the safe and stable operation of the network in a manner that guarantees equal opportunities and non-discrimination.
- Procurement of the needs of the regulated market in terms of electrical energy by purchasing it from those licensed to produce, as well as purchasing transmission, distribution and sale services from those licensed to do so.
- Receiving the difference between the two tariffs stipulated in Article (41) of this law and allocate it for the purpose specified by the executive regulations.
- Providing electric power to qualified subscribers under temporary contracts for a period of six months and renewing it for other similar periods or part thereof with the approval of the Agency, in exchange for a tariff proposed by the company and approved by the Agency.
- Participating with the ministry in studies of expansion in production and transportation to meet the needs of consumers.
- Organizing the procedures for buying and selling electricity in accordance with the rules of trade and settlement of the electricity market through the market operator.
- Executing electrical interconnection projects approved by the Ministry and exchanging electricity with other countries in accordance with agreements concluded in this regard, including participation in companies for this purpose.
- Regulating the sale, purchase and exchange of electrical energy on interconnection networks.
- Carrying out studies, research and development in its field of activity.
- Responsibe for the availability of information and statistics to the parties to the electricity utility without discrimination.
The Electricity Transmission company implements its projects by itself or jointly with others, or entrusts the implementation of some of them to third parties, and it may carry out other works or activities related to or complementary to its activity in accordance with its articles of association.
The Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company shall undertake the aforementioned specializations in accordance with the principles and rules specified by the executive regulations.