CAIRO - 23 April 2022: Egypt's Law No. 149 of 2019 regulating the practice of civil work stipulated the establishment of a fund to support projects of NGOs and institutions.
The fund aims at providing financial support for the continuity of activities carried out by NGOs, and unions established in accordance with the provisions of this law.
The fund shall have a public legal personality, and it shall provide support to associations, NGOs and federations, to improve their level and provide them with technical, financial and administrative assistance, and all rights of the NGO Support Fund, for NGOs and Institutions established by virtue of Article (71), shall revert to it.
The Fund to Support the Projects of NGOs and NGOs shall have a board of directors headed by the competent minister, and the membership of each of the following:
- Two employees in leadership positions in the competent ministry will be selected by the competent minister.
- The Head of the Central Unit of Associations and Civil Work.
- For Administrative Affairs in the State Council, the Vice-President of the State Council shall be chosen by the Special Council.
- President of the General Federation of NGOs and Institutions.
- The president of a regional association.
- Head of one of the federations.
- Member of a public benefit association.
- Central Society member.
- Member of a civil society.
- Member of a non-governmental organization.
The executive regulation determines the criteria and method of selection, and the term of the fund’s board of directors is four years, where its formation, method of management, remuneration of its members, and its work system are issued by a decision of the competent minister.
The council shall have a technical secretariat of workers in the central unit of associations and civil work whose formation, system of work and the remuneration of its members shall be issued by a decision of the competent minister, and the fund shall have a full-time executive director appointed by a decision of the chairman of its board.