File- President Abdel Fattah El Sisi gives a televised speech on Labor Day on May 1, 2021- press photo
CAIRO - Egypt’s President Abdel Fattah El Sisi declared on Monday the cancellation of the extension of the state of emergency throughout the country.
“It is my pleasure to share together this moment, for which we have always striven with hard work. Egypt has become - thanks to its great people and loyal men - an oasis of security and stability in the region; hence, I decided, for the first time in years, to cancel the extension of the state of emergency throughout the country,” says President Sisi on his official Facebook page.
“This decision was has been made by Egyptians themselves over the past few years throughout their honest and sincere participation in the efforts of development and construction,” he added
“When I declare this decision, I do remember, with honor and respect, our heroic martyrs, without whom we would not have achieved safety and stability,” he continued.
“Together, we steadily move forward to a new republic, with God’s help and support. Long live Egypt, Long Live Egypt,” he said.
Egypt had declared the state of emergency in April 2017 following two bombings that targeted two churches in Tanta city and Alexandria and claimed the lives of 45 Coptic Christians and injured dozens.
The state of emergency has been extended on the grounds of fighting terrorism, protecting national security and implementing development programs in a stable climate.
Since then, the state of emergency has been extended every time for three months. The last three-month extension for the state of emergency was decreed by President Sisi on July 22, 2021, and became effective on the 24th of July.