Wed, 14 Oct 2015 - 01:07 GMT
Wed, 14 Oct 2015 - 01:07 GMT
It's pumpkin season in Egypt, and time to look forward to rich, creamy soups and savoury desserts that show off the pumpkin's versatility.[caption id="attachment_340459" align="alignnone" width="620"] Pumpkin soup.[/caption]
Ingredients: 2 cups pumpkin puree 2 shallots, diced 3 cloves garlic, minced 2 cups stock 1 cup cooking cream 2 tbsp honey 1/4 tsp each salt, black pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg
Method: 1. To prepare the pumpkin puree, preheat oven to 350 oF and line a tray with a baking sheet. Using a sharp knife, slice off the top of a large pumpkin (the local kind looks more like a butternut than the small ones used to carve jack o’ lanterns) and then halve them. Use a sharp spoon to scrape out all of the seeds.
2. Brush scoops with oil and place face down on baking sheet. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until soft. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. Peel away skin.
3. Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in shallot and garlic, sauteing until slightly browned.
4. Add remaining ingredients and stir well. Spoon in pumpkin and leave to simmer for about 15 minutes. Leave to cool.
5. Blitz soup mixture in a blender. Pour mixture back into saucepan and leave to simmer another 10 minutes.[caption id="attachment_340457" align="alignnone" width="620"] Pumpkin pie.[/caption]
Ingredients: 2 cups pumpkin puree 1 1/2 cups cream 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/3 cup white sugar 1/2 tsp salt 3 eggs 2 tsp cinnamon 1 tsp ground ginger 1/4 tsp each ground nutmeg, cloves, cardamom 1/2 tsp lemon zest 1 ready-made pie crust
Method: 1. To make puree, cut a large pumpkin in half. Scrape out the insides and discard.
2. Slice and place on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F until a fork can easily pierce them, about an hour to an hour and a half. Remove from oven, let cool, scoop out the pulp.
3. Preheat oven to 450°F.
4. Beat eggs in a large bowl. Mix in the sugars, salt, spices, and lemon zest. Mix in the pumpkin purée. Stir in the cream. Beat everything together until well blended.
5. Pour the filling into a prepared pie shell. Bake for 15 minutes. Lower temperature to 350°F and bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.[caption id="attachment_340456" align="alignnone" width="620"] Pumpkin muffins.[/caption]
Ingredients: 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour 2 teaspoons baking soda 2 teaspoons salt 1 teaspoon baking powder 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg 1 teaspoon ground allspice 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves 2 cups canned pumpkin puree 1 1/2 cups white sugar 1/2 cup light brown sugar 1/2 cup apple sauce cup fat free vanilla yogurt 4 egg whites 1 egg 2/3 cup water 1 cup raisins
Method: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two 12-cup muffin pans with paper muffin liners.
1. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, and cloves.
2. In a large bowl, beat together the pumpkin, white sugar, brown sugar, applesauce, yogurt, egg whites, and egg.
3. Blend flour mixture into sugar mixture in portions, gradually adding water, to form a smooth batter. Fold in raisins.
4. Pour equal amounts into the prepared muffin pan and bake 16 to 18 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
Leave a Comment