CAIRO – 10 February 2021: Arts in the Islamic era reflected many aspects of the daily life. These arts expressed the manifestations of the royal celebrations, the scenes of receiving ambassadors and foreign delegations, as well as popular events, public holidays, weddings and many others.
Among the holdings of the Museum of Islamic Art is a collection of musical instruments which reflects the aforementioned.
These include two riqs inlayed with shells dating back to the era of Mohammad Ali family in the 19th century, an ivory whistle also dating back to Mohammad Ali family era in the 19th century, a marquetry tambour (similar to the oud) dating back to the 18th / 19th century, and a wooden drum with an ivory body decorated with geometric ornaments and Persian inscriptions, and a drum cover made of natural leather.
On December 28, 1903, the museum was opened for the first time, during the reign of Khedive Abbas Helmy II. Its purpose was to collect Islamic monuments and documents from many parts of the world, such as Egypt, North Africa, the Levant, India, China, Iran, the Arabian Peninsula and Andalusia.
The idea began in the era of Khedive Ismail, specifically in 1869 AD, but it remained under implementation until 1880 during the reign of Khedive Tawfik. The execution began when Frantz Pasha collected the archaeological artifacts dating back to the Islamic era in the eastern iwan of Al-Hakim Mosque.
The Museum of Islamic Art has two entrances, one on the northeast side and the other on the southeast side. The museum's façade overlooking Port Said Street is distinguished by its Islamic decorations.