Sun, 23 May 2021 - 11:16 GMT
Egypt's Min. of Tourism & Antiquities Khaled el-Enany during his visit to Mohammed Ali Pasha Mosque in Cairo - Min. of Tourism & Antiquities
CAIRO – 23 May 2021: The restoration works of the Mohammad Ali Mosque and the Clock Tower of the Citadel of Salah al-Din al-Ayyubi in Cairo are in full swing. The restoration process aims to restore their original luster, and highlight their archaeological and artistic beauty.
Head of the Islamic, Coptic and Jewish Antiquities Sector at the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities Osama Talaat explained that during the restoration work, an “inscription” in the name of Mohammad Ali was found on the bottom rim of the eighth column to the right in the mosque’s courtyard.
Talaat noted that the inscription was engraved on the flap; it was not a “seal” as some have published.
He explained that the restoration includes cleaning and restoring domes, removing soot and rust on bronze windows, scrubbing and cleaning the marble floor in the saucer, restoring and gilding the inscription tapes at the entrance of the prayer hall and the ablution dome.
The glass for the lower windows in the square was also installed, and new lighting tools were added.
Moreover, the prayer house inside the mosque was restored. This included the maintenance of glass, as well as cleaning, polishing and re-installing the chandelier in the center of the prayer house and replacing the parts that were missing with time.
Talaat emphasized that the work in the chandelier is 60 percent complete and is soon to reach 100 percent. The chandelier is 5.5 meters wide and 3 meters high. It is surrounded by a group of lights and rises 5 meters from the ground of the mosque.
It is worth noting that the Clock Tower is located in the center of the northwestern corridor of the mosque. It is a metal tower decorated with inscriptions and stained glass panels. Inside it resides a watch that was given to Mohammad Ali Pasha by the King of France Louis Philippe in 1846 AD to be placed in the Mohammad Ali Pasha Palace in Shubra.
It was stored in the palace until the matter settled to place it in the mosque during the reign of Khedive Abbas I in 1856 AD.
The Mosque of Mohammad Ali is located in the western corner of the southern section of the castle. It overlooks the city of Cairo with its domes and minarets. It is considered one of Cairo’s archaeological and tourist attractions. It is also known as the Alabaster Mosque.