A laborer works at a textile mill in Mahalla el-Kubra, about 110 km north of Cairo - Reuters/Mohamed Abd El Ghany
CAIRO – 3 February 2018: Trade Minister Tarek Kabil announced last month the beginning of procedures for the establishment of the largest textile and clothing city in Egypt, located in Sadat City in Monufiya governorate.
Following are key facts about the city.
• The city spans over an area of 3.1 million square meters, to become the largest city for textile manufacturing in Egypt.
• It has a total paid-up capital of $2 billion, to be pumped over seven years.
• Foreign investment in the city represents 87 percent, while local investment represents
• It provides 160,000 jobs.
• Upon completion, the city’s annual production will reach $9 billion.
• It will include a school that provides training on the latest technologies in the textile industry.
• A Chinese holding company is executing the project.
• The construction of the first phase will start in March 2018, to be completed over five stages.
• The first phase of the city will be completed by 2020 and will include 57 factories.
• The whole city will be completed by 2024.