Egyptian women making bread- via Wikimedia Commons
CAIRO – 17 August 2017: A special survey will be held to provide ration cards for food subsidies for the most vulnerable people, Minister of Supply Ali Moselhy said Thursday.
In a press conference following the Cabinet meeting, Moselhy said that the move marks the implementation of an exceptional decision issued earlier this month to include the neediest citizens for care under the system.
Under the decree, the ministry set the maximum number of family members eligible per card at four, and thresholds for incomes of LE 1,500 ($84.5) per month for full-time workers and for pensions of LE 1,200.
“There are categories in society, such as some beneficiaries of Takaful and Karama programs, which cannot afford waiting until the government issues new ration cards, that is why this ministerial decision was issued,” spokesperson of the Ministry of Supply Mohamed Sewed told local media.
In late June, President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi announced the government will increase the subsidies on ration cards from LE 21 to LE 50 ($1.1 - $2.7) per individual, as part of a series of decisions that aim to strengthen the social safety net.
The decision would raise allocations of food subsidies in the fiscal year 2017/18 budget to LE 85 billion from LE 47 billion in FY16/2017.