In a speech at the Parliament, Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli on Sunday said the terrorist attacks, especially in North Sinai, would not disrupt life in Egypt – Egypt Today/Khaled Mashaal In a speech at the Parliament, Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli on Sunday said the terrorist attacks, especially in North Sinai, would not disrupt life in Egypt – Egypt Today/Khaled Mashaal

Terrorist attacks not to disrupt economic development: PM

Mon, Nov. 4, 2019
CAIRO – 4 November 2019: Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli on Sunday said the terrorist attacks, especially in North Sinai, would not disrupt life in Egypt or succeed to stop plans of economic development and achieving social protection for all Egyptian people, in a speech at the Parliament.

Madbouli referred to the declaration of the state of emergency nationwide for three months, saying that "evil" powers are taking advantage of the threats and turmoil witnessed currently by the Arab region and the Middle East, to carry out "despicable" acts against civilians, as well as police and army personnel.

He added that these powers aim to destabilize the country but would not manage to implement their strategy at any part of the country.

He also referred to the anniversary of the October 1973 war, through which Egypt managed to restore Sinai from Israel, saying that Egyptian army, police and people are all responsible for protecting "the precious Sinai," from "evil" powers.

Madbouli praised the determination of the armed and police forces to face the threats facing the country's national security.

"For years, our sons and brothers from the Egyptian armed forces and security forces have had the responsibility of the defense of the homeland in the face of rogue fragments [of people] backed by external forces," he said, adding that "Egypt will remain safe."

Madbouli said that a great deal of stability has been achieved. "We have built our country and reformed our economy with a high degree of efficiency that has been praised by all the global institutions."

Concerning state of emergency, Madbouli promised exceptional measures would only be used by the extent that ensures a balance between the protection of public freedom and the requirements of national security.

mashaak

For the tenth time in a row, President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi issued a decree to extend the state of emergency in Egypt for 3 months, as per a statement published by the official gazette Al-Waqa'i' al-Misriyya.

A state of emergency in the Egyptian state was declared in April 2017 for 3 months following the two church bombings that claimed the lives of 47 people, and has been renewed since then.

“The Armed Forces and Tourism Police shall take all the necessary measures to combat the dangers of terrorism and its financing sources in order to maintain security throughout the country, protect the public and private properties and save the lives of citizens,” the decree says.

Furthermore, Madbouli issued a decree to renew a dusk-to-dawn curfew for another three months on some areas of North Sinai, the official statement added.

mashaak2


Additional reporting by Egypt Today Staff
 
There are no comments on this article.

Leave a comment