Egypt detects new 890 coronavirus cases with 56 deaths

BY

Mon, 18 Jan 2021 - 10:58 GMT

An image depicting President Sisi is seen on bottle of sanitiser before news conference announcing details of vaccination campaign against coronavirus disease outbreak, in Cairo, December 2020. REUTERS

An image depicting President Sisi is seen on bottle of sanitiser before news conference announcing details of vaccination campaign against coronavirus disease outbreak, in Cairo, December 2020. REUTERS

The Health Ministry said Sunday that 890 new coronavirus cases were detected, upping the total number of confirmed cases to 156,397.



In a statement, Spokesman for the Health Ministry Khaled Megahed said 56 patients have died from the virus over the past 24 hours, raising the death toll to 8,583.



As many as 702 patients were discharged from isolation hospitals after receiving necessary medical care, taking the number of recovered cases to 122,993 so far, the spokesman said.

 

In December, Health Minister officially announced that Egypt is facing the second wave of coronavirus.
 
 
The Cabinet, in response, announced further measures to curb the spread of the novel virus, including imposing an immediate fine on people not wearing face masks in closed places and public transportation. The decision came into effect on Sunday January 3.
 
 
Cabinet spokesman Nader Saad, in remarks to media in December, said the ventilator use rose to 42 percent and that Egypt has prepared 363 hospitals for quarantine, the same number of hospitals for quarantine as that it prepared during the peak of the first wave.

Comments

0

Leave a Comment

Be Social