Worshipers perform Taraweeh prayer in Amr Ibn al-As Mosque - File photos
CAIRO – 19 November 2020: It is forbidden for those who have been tested positive for the new coronavirus (COVID-19) to attend the Friday congregational prayers, announced the Egyptian Dar al-Iftaa, the Sunni Islamic house that is authorized to issue the Islamic fatwas in Egypt.
The fatwa was issued in a bid to curb and contain the spread of the virus, particularly in this winter season, in which the rate of coronavirus infection is likely to increase.
It also stated that those who are afraid of being infected with the virus in the Friday prayer will not be sinful if they prayed at home.
The Iftaa called upon the Egyptians to adhere to the protective measures against the virus.
In mid-March 2020, Egypt banned prayers at the mosques and churches. But in August, mass prayers resumed.
Egypt's Health Ministry said in a Wednesday statement that 329 new coronavirus cases were detected, upping the total number of confirmed cases in Egypt since the beginning of the outbreak to 111,613.
A total of 14 patients died from the virus over the past 24 hours, raising the death toll to 6,495.
As many as 133 patients were discharged from isolation hospitals after receiving necessary medical care, taking the number of recovered cases to 101,421 so far, the spokesman said.