An injured man who was pinned under a vehicle following an explosion in Beirut's port area, is transported on a stretcher to hospital, in Beirut, Lebanon, August 4, 2020. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
CAIRO -8 August 2020: The bodies of the three Egyptians who died on Tuesday's Beirut blast have reached their hometown, Gharbiya governorate for burial.
Earlier in the day, the three bodies arrived at Cairo Airport after all relevant procedures have been finalized by the Egyptian Embassy in Beirut.
On August 8, Sisi offered his condolences to Lebanese counterpart Michel Aoun over the death of dozens in the explosion.
During a phone call, Sisi assured Aoun that Egypt stands by the side of Lebanon and is willing to offer any help for Beirut, Presidential Spokesman Bassam Radi said.
Egyptian Ambassador to Lebanon Yusuf Allawi announced that Egypt opened an air bridge to deliver urgent medical aid to Lebanon. The newly opened air bridge carried the required medicine and medical supplies.
Egypt dispatched medical teams to participate in relief efforts, along with the efforts made by the Egyptian field hospital that is located in the Lebanese capital.
Simultaneously, Egyptian Grand Imam of Al-Azhar Ahmed Al-Tayeb ordered to deliver medical aid to the Lebanese people.
Several countries around the globe sent or pledged assistance to Lebanon; Egypt, Iraq, the UAE, Kuwait, Qatar, and Iran already delivered planes and ships of food, medical, and oil aid. Meanwhile, countries like Saudi Arabia, Russia, Germany, Algeria, and the European Union pledged emergency help.
The Lebanon explosion left at least 154 people dead, 5,000 injured and 300,000 homeless. Meanwhile, Lebanese President Michel Aoun rejected calls for an international investigation into the explosion and said local authorities would examine whether it was triggered by "external interference" such as a bomb.
Leave a Comment