A man is evacuated at the site of an explosion in Beirut, Lebanon August 4, 2020. REUTERS/Mohamed Azakir
CAIRO – 4 August 2020: The death toll of the blast that rocked the Lebanese capital Beirut earlier on Tuesday has jumped to 73 killed and more than 3700 wounded, reported the Lebanese Ministry of Health.
News reports said earlier that the blast killed the Secretary-General of the Lebanese Phalanges Party Nizar Nigaryan. Investigation are being held to reach the reason behind the massive blast.
The capital’s hospitals announced the extreme state of emergency to receive all the wounded by the blast, estimated at 3700 wounded. Lebanon’s state news agency NNA and two security sources said the blast had occurred in the port area where there are warehouses housing explosives.
It was not immediately clear what caused the blast or what kind of explosives were in the warehouses. “I saw a fireball and smoke billowing over Beirut. People were screaming and running, bleeding. Balconies were blown off buildings.
Glass in high-rise buildings shattered and fell to the street,” said a Reuters witness. Local broadcaster LBC quoted the health minister as saying there was a “very high number” of injures and a large amount of damage.