Egypt's Cairo Metro - photo by Karim Abdel Aziz/ Egypt Today
CAIRO – 23 April 2020: Egypt’s Cairo Metro authorities amended the operation hours of the Metro after the new curfew dates announced by the government during the holy month of Ramadan.
In a statement, the authorities clarified that the new dates will be as following:
- The last operating metro will depart Helwan station [first line] at 8:15 p.m.
- The last operating metro will depart Marg station [first line] at 8:30 p.m.
- The last operating metro will depart Shubra station [Second line] at 8:35 p.m.
- The last operating metro will depart Munib station [Second line] at 8:35 p.m.
- The last operating metro will depart Shams Club station [third line] at 8:15 p.m.
- The last operating metro will depart Attaba station [connecting station between 3rd-
2nd lines] at 8:45 p.m.
All three lines will start operating at 6 a.m. in accordance with the new curfew dates announced by the government, Thursday morning.
Egypt’s Dar al-Iftaa announced on Wednesday evening that the holy month of Ramadan will start on Friday, sending its greetings to President Sisi and the Egyptians.
Egyptian Prime Minister Mustafa Madbouli announced Thursday, that the night-time curfew hours were shortened to start from 9:00 pm to 6:00 am during the holy month of Ramadan.
In a press conference on the state’s new procedures against the outbreak of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic during the holy month, Madbouli added that the commercial centers are allowed to open over the whole week until 5:00 pm.
The Prime Minister announced that the state and the Egyptians have to cope with COVID-19 impacts via precautionary measures as the disease could exist for a long time
We have balanced between taking preventive measures against coronavirus and allowing the economy and production to continue, he said, adding that there is a qualitative change that took place in many countries' vision toward fighting coronavirus, including deciding to open the economy, after millions of workers lost their jobs.
Before the government latest adjustments for the curfew dates, Cairo Metro said that that they will be adhering to the curfew timing announced by the government.
It was added that any new changing for the curfew time will be followed with changing in the operation timing.