Scientist El-Baz hails Egypt’s COVID-19 efforts, slams businessmen’s remarks

BY

Thu, 16 Apr 2020 - 10:46 GMT

FILE – Egyptian-American scientist Farouk El-Baz

FILE – Egyptian-American scientist Farouk El-Baz

CAIRO – 16 April 2020: Renowned Egyptian-American space scientist and geologist Farouk El-Baz praised the national and medical efforts in Egypt in facing the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), urging citizens to cooperate and abide by the imposed preventive measures.

In a video call with Egypt Today, El-Baz, a former NASA scientist and a current member of the Egyptian Presidential Advisory Council, said he knows doctors from Canada, the US and Australia who are in contact with doctors in Egypt, adding that they affirmed that the medical staff in Egypt are doing their best.

Concerning calls to reopen economy despite expected human losses by some businessmen, Baz said he considers them as “disgraceful” and as a form of “depravity” as they favor economy over people’s lives.

He affirmed that Egypt has the opportunity to prove it can revive the economy after the crisis is over and that healthy humans will have a constructive role in rebuilding economy.

He, however, said businessmen should not be pressured into donating personal money to support the efforts to combat the coronavirus, as they should act in accordance with their free will.

Coronavirus: Egypt's efforts to contain crisis, face economic impact

CAIRO - 15 April 2020: The Egyptian Ministry of International Cooperation has published a full report of the national efforts and plans to face the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and curb its spread, as Egypt has reported a total of 2,350 cases.




The Egyptian Health Ministry on Wednesday reported 155 new coronavirus (COVID-19) cases, raising the total number of cases in the northeastern African country to 2,505 cases.

The ministry in a statement also reported 5 new deaths, the country’s lowest count in April so far. The death toll since the novel virus emerged in Egypt now stands at 183.

On the other hand, the ministry said the results of a total of 751 cases have turned to negative, including 553 who totally recovered since the crisis started.

Last week, Egypt’s Prime Minister Mustafa Madbouli extended a nationwide night-time curfew by two additional weeks, as the country is tailoring measures to contain the coronavirus situation in the country.

Among the decisions intensifying sterilization procedures for all state facilities and deducting salaries of the prime minister and state ministers by 20 percent for three months to support precarious employment.

“Our projections for this week were 120-150 cases daily. There will be increases in the number of infections in the coming two or three weeks…but the more important thing is that the rise is slight and gradual,” Madbouli noted.

Comments

0

Leave a Comment

Recommend Article

Be Social