FILE - Oliver Varhelyi – European Union
CAIRO – 3 April 2020: The European Union will back Egypt with up to €89 million ($96 million), as part of global efforts to fight the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) and curb its spread, a top European Union official said on Thursday.
This comes while the northeastern Africa country is involved in a fierce battle against the novel coronavirus, as it has so far confirmed 865 cases and 58 deaths, according to an official toll on Thursday.
EU Commissioner for Enlargement and Neighborhood Oliver Varhelyi said he made a phone call with Egypt’s Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry, during which he affirmed the need of cooperation to fight the deadly virus.
Europe has been badly hit with coronavirus, with each of Italy, Spain and Germany recording the highest counts after the US. France and UK have also been suffering from a growing increase of positive cases.
“We will redirect up to €89m of funds foreseen for Egypt to face emergencies due to pandemic and to support the immediate needs of the public health system,” added Varhelyi.
The Egyptian Health Ministry on Thursday has reported new 86 coronavirus cases, raising the total number of cases in the northeastern African country to 865. The total death toll reached 58, after the ministry confirmed six new deaths.
On the other hand, the ministry said the results of 282 cases turned to negative, including 201 who totally recovered.
In a press conference on Thursday, Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli said the Health Ministry has provided 1,000 fully equipped vehicles serving as mobile clinics, to test citizens nationwide for the novel virus.
The figures of people infected with coronavirus (COVID-19) in Egypt may increase during the next week, Madbouli noted, but they will still be within the middle safe range, as long as this increase is gradual.
He urged citizens inhabiting densely populated governorates to show further commitment to the preventive measures against the spread of the deadly virus.