A Palestinian runs during clashes with Israeli troops, during a tent city protest along the Israel border with Gaza, demanding the right to return to their homeland, the southern Gaza Strip March 30, 2018. REUTERS/Ibraheem Abu Mustafa
CAIRO – 14 July 2018: Egypt’s efforts succeeded to realize a ceasefire Saturday between the Palestinian factions in Gaza and the Israeli state, according to several media reports.
Egypt offered mediation in an attempt to prevent any military escalation from the Israeli authorities against the Palestinians in city of Gaza.
The leader in the Islamic Jihad movement in Palestine (PIJ), Dawood Shehab, said that PIJ agreed to announce the ceasefire after intensive calls with the Egyptian authorities.
Shehab added that the truce was set to start at 8:00 pm on Saturday, asserting that the Palestinian factions preserve the right to fight back any Israeli aggression in case it took place during the ceasefire period.
In the same context, the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP) accepted the Egyptian mediation to declare a ceasefire between the Palestinian factions and the Israeli authorities.
Israel's military renewed air strikes targeting Hamas in the Gaza Strip on Saturday afternoon, following border clashes in which two Palestinians including a teenager were killed and hundreds injured.
The army said it was "currently striking terror targets in the Gaza Strip", without giving further details, following an assault on the territory earlier in the day.
According to Palestinian security sources and witnesses, fighter jets struck Hamas targets without causing any injuries.
The Israeli bombardment came as rockets and mortars were lobbed into southern Israel from the blockaded Palestinian enclave.