Media Syndicate, SCMR work to ban Galal’s show

BY

Sat, 19 May 2018 - 03:00 GMT

Hamdi al-Konaisi, head of Egypt’s Media Syndicate – Press photo

Hamdi al-Konaisi, head of Egypt’s Media Syndicate – Press photo

CAIRO – 19 May 2018: Tarek Saada, deputy of Egypt’s Media Syndicate, said on Saturday that the syndicate will coordinate with the Supreme Council for Media Regulation (SCMR) to stop airing the Ramadan show “Ramez Sub Zero” by Egyptian actor Ramez Galal.

“This show misleads public opinion, has nothing to deal with objectives and doesn’t present any useful information,” he said, calling on the private channel not to sponsor such useless shows.

Galal’s annual shows receive controversial and mixed reactions from audiences. This year, Galal organizes pranks on celebrities, where the celebrity is invited to come to Moscow, Russia to attend a World Cup program. On the way to the program, the guest faces many dangers, among them being horrified by a terrifying tiger and a bear. “Ramez Sub Zero” is presented daily via MBC Egypt.

Many social media users criticized the first episode featuring Egyptian actress Yasmin Sabry and accused Galal of sexual harassment, as he made repeated physical contact with Sabry while they were escaping the terrifying animals and after she found out that it was a joke.

Egypt’s Supreme Council for Media Regulation (SCMR) issued a decision earlier this month to fine any Ramadan drama series up to LE 250,000 for each obscene word.

“We lived about eight years with no rules or control over drama. We are not trying to be fascists or to set limits and restraints over freedoms; however, we are trying to set professional standards for drama work to decrease the violent content,” Makram Mohamed Ahmed, head of SCMR, said during a meeting of Parliament’s Media and Culture Committee.

He added that SCMR sets rules for everything that will air during Ramadan, especially advertisements.

Earlier in April, SCMR announced that any advertisement that disrupts the Egyptian community’s values during the holy month of Ramadan will be banned.

Ahmed Selim, secretary-general of SCMR, told Egypt Today that the ads should have valuable content and represent a respectful image of Egypt’s society. He also stressed that the council is going to send a list of the Islamic scholars authorized to issue fatwas (religious edicts) through media outlets during the holy month.

Siham Saleh, Media Syndicate deputy, also told Egypt Today on April 16 that a separate committee has been formed to monitor the new programs expected to air during Ramadan. Saleh urged television hosts to commit to the declared charter of honor. She added that no one will appear on the screen without being a recognized member of the Media Syndicate.

Comments

0

Leave a Comment

Recommend Article

Be Social