Egypt's ground troops in a full-scale operation against militants in North and Central Sinai on Friday, April 1, 2018- Photo courtesy of the Armed Forces spokesperson's Facebook page
CAIRO – 10 May 2018: The Armed Forces issued a statement Thursday morning that provides new updates of the “Comprehensive Operation Sinai 2018”.
The operation aims to eradicate terrorism in North and Central Sinai, in addition to other areas in the Nile Delta and Western Desert.
As part of the patriotic role performed by the Armed Forces' fighters, in cooperation with the Interior Ministry security forces, and due to the sacrifices these “heroes” have made in Sinai and the victories they have achieved, according to the statement, the operations in Sinai along the last days have resulted in:
- The elimination of three armed takfiris, during an air strike on four hideouts and a four-wheel-drive vehicle that the terrorists had used.
- The elimination of 18 “extremely dangerous” takfiris in a raid in North and Central Sinai after exchanging fire. Five others were arrested.
- The arrest of a wanted “extremely dangerous” takfiri element, and other 232 wanted criminals and suspects. The arrestees were sent to the competent authorities.
- The destruction of 391 hideouts the terrorists had used, including three booby-trapped houses connected to a 100-meter deep trench.
- The destruction of 15 main communication trenches of depths of 150 and 300 meters. Subsequently, a number of firearms, wireless communication devices, fuel, military uniforms, car tires, batteries, as well as a camera, drugs, and takfiri books were seized.
- The detection of 30 cars, 49 motorbikes and two camels which the terrorists had used to move logistic aid in the mountainous regions in Central Sinai. The camels were loaded with a number of explosive belts, wireless communication devices, medical equipment, and solar energy panels.
- The destruction of 63 marijuana farms and the detection of other 17 tons of marijuana plant, ready for trade.
- The destruction of 21 explosive devices by the military engineers. The explosive devices were placed on different routes.
The Western Military Region forces and border guards, in cooperation with the Air Forces, managed to destroy a number of 4 four-wheel-drive vehicles, the statement read. The forces could also detect 13 other vehicles carrying weapons and ammunition.
Inside the vehicles, two snipers, a cartridge firearm, 650 9mm handguns, 190 air guns, over 20,250 bullets, more than 3.1 million drug pills, and 675 kilograms of Hashish (a substance derived from cannabis) essence were found.
Moreover, a number of 538 “intruders” of different nationalities were arrested while attempting to illegally immigrate, the statement added. The border guards also managed to detect six four-wheel-drive vehicles and two motorbikes in attempts to illegally cross the southern borders.