Head of State Information Service, Diaa Rashwan – File photo
CAIRO – 25 November 2017: Egypt’s State Information Service (SIS) strongly deplored BBC’s “inaccurate coverage” of the terrorist attack that hit Rawdah Mosque in Arish city, North Sinai and left 235 killed and 125 injured.
In a press conference on Friday night, the head of SIS, Diaa Rashwan, said that BBC had made “professional mistakes” by describing the worshippers in Rawdah Mosque as “supporters of security forces.”
Rashwan, former head of Egypt's Press Syndicate, added that such false information is unacceptable to be circulated, because it justifies the terrorism against civilians in Egypt.
He also affirmed that the BBC deleted this phrase out of its coverage after he contacted them regarding what was published.
Earlier this month during his participation at the World Youth Forum, Rashwan said that international organizations concerned with the freedom of press and expression must obtain their information from credible sources only.
Scores of people were killed on Friday when militants attacked a crowded mosque during prayers in the Sinai Peninsula, setting off explosives and spraying worshippers with gunfire.
Leave a Comment