Libyan PM says all mercenaries, foreign troops to leave Libya

BY

Mon, 19 Jul 2021 - 12:52 GMT

A member of the GNA militias checks the confiscated military vehicles from the Libyan National Army (GNA), in Zawiyah west of Tripoli, Libya April 5, 2019. REUTERS/Hani Amara

A member of the GNA militias checks the confiscated military vehicles from the Libyan National Army (GNA), in Zawiyah west of Tripoli, Libya April 5, 2019. REUTERS/Hani Amara

CAIRO - 19 July 2020: Libyan Prime Minister Abdulhamid Dbeibeh said Saturday no foreign troops or mercenaries will remain on the Libyan territory.


The government will make the elections a reality and will not stand against the desire of the Libyans, he added.

Libya called for activating sanctions against the instigators and those who obstructing Libya's march inside and outside the country, he said, noting that this called was largely backed by the international community.

Libya lives a glimmer of hope to get out of the dark tunnel it has been going through for years, he added. 

On March 16, power was handed over from the former presidential council to the new one, and from the 2014 Government of National Accord (GNA) to the GNU, which is supposed to pave the way for holding elections on December 24.

On March 15, the GNU members and prime minister took the oath of office before the Tobruk-based House of Representatives.

The new Chair of the Presidential Council is Mohamed Menfi, and the other two members are Mossa Al-Koni, and Abdullah Al-Lafi. Dabiba-Menfi list received the necessary votes in the ballot held by the UN-fostered Libyan National Dialogue Forum on February 6.

The dismantled interim non-elected GNA used to control western Libya and was using militias and mercenaries to hold territories. Simultaneously, central and eastern Libya were under the control of the Libyan National Army (LNA) and the authority of the elected House of Representatives and an interim government it had formed. 

Unlike the GNA, which was based in Tripoli in the west, the GNU is based in Sirte located in central Libya.  

In December, Libyan local media reported that Turkey had transported into Libya HAWK missile batteries and a 3D-Radar, according to Egypt's Youm7.

On July 5, several "unknown aircraft" launched nine strikes against Oqba Bin Nafea Airbase located in Al Watiyah controlled by the Government of National Accord (GNA) and Turkey. The outcome was the destruction of Hawk air defense systems, and a Koral electronic warfare system as well as the killing of a Turkish commander, and six officers as the operations room they were in was hit.

However, Commander of Mobilization at the LNA Khaled al-Mahgoub stated on July 20 that Turkey still uses Oqba bin Nafea airbase in Al Watiyah western the country to bring in military reinforcements.

An Egyptian delegation visited earlier in February the Libyan capital, Tripoli, in order to check on the headquarters of the embassy, and to reiterate three requests that are dismantling militias, eliminating foreign military presence in Libya, and deporting foreign mercenaries.

Comments

0

Leave a Comment

Be Social