Sameh Shoukry - Press photo
CAIRO – 6 July 2017: Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said on Wednesday that Qatar's response to the four Arab states' demands was "overall negative" and "indicates a lack of awareness of how dangerous the situation is".
Addressing a press conference following a meeting with counterparts from Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain, Shoukry said the response received from Doha lacked any content and proved that Qatar has no intention to retreat from its policies.
Asked about the response that was carried to the four countries through Kuwait, the minister said the response proved that Doha gives no care to agreements made with the international community.
Undermining such rules raises questions about the goals that may lead to the death of innocent people and damage to countries such as Yemen, Syria and Libya, he warned.
Shoukry made it clear that the principles have been put up for discussion during the Arab-Islamic-American summit held in Riyadh in May.
The blood of Egyptian martyrs who were killed in terrorist attacks will not go in vain, Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said on Wednesday.
Speaking at a press conference with his Saudi, Bahraini and Emirati counterparts, Shoukry said Egypt is adamant to combat terrorist groups.
He further praised Egypt's army and police personnel, who sacrificed their souls to defend their homeland.
“The Qatari reply to the four countries' demand is generally negative.” Shoukry said.
"The response is lack of any content and show no backtrack from Qatar from its adopted policies," Shoukry reiterated.
"So far, the Qatari stance reflects no apprehension that the situation is dangerous and the importance of abiding by the principles of the international community," he went on to say.
He noted that "these principles are firmly-established and were reiterated during the recent US-Arab-Islamic Summit in Riyadh."
"All international community members should be committed to these principles," reaffirmed Shourky.
UAE Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed said he has hope of a better future and a victory over terrorism that hits the region causing chaos and destruction.
The minister asserted: we are sovereign states that will protect themselves against terrorism and extremism in accordance with the international laws.
In the same vein, Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubair said the four countries have taken steps to stop Qatar’s interference in other countries through actions that supported terrorism and spread hatred. He called on Qatar to change its policy.
“The boycott will remain,” he said at the news conference that was held after a meeting with his counterparts from Egypt, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates over the crisis.
On the same issue, Bahrain's Foreign Minister Khalid bin Ahmed Al-Khalifa said coordinating stances by the four countries is a clue for solving this crisis under the international laws.
“It is our duty to confront Daesh's terrorism and that terrorism comes from Iran,” he said.
He added the Qatar-backed Muslim Brotherhood must also be held accountable for bloodshed in Egypt
Replying to a question, Shoukry said the meeting with his counterparts of Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Bahrain was to discuss all aspects of the crisis with Qatar and to assess the negative reply from Doha.
He added that they mulled also measures that will be taken in the coming period to "maintain our interests" and to stress principles that were figured out in the joint statement.
"Sacrifices and bloodshed of terrorist acts whether in Egypt, Arab countries or in the world in general must not be undervalued and no more will be tolerated," said Shoukry.
"There should be an end to addressing this challenge and all who sponsor it. Surely, stances are being carefully mulled to lead to certain outcome, that is why a decision was taken to hold more contacts and meetings to consider and crystallize all measures that will be taken to maintain our interests and to achieve this goal," he said.
Asked if Qatar's memberships in the Gulf Cooperation Council will be terminated, the Bahraini foreign minister said the Gulf bloc is studying this topic.
"Today's meeting is merely for coordination after the negative reply of Qatar," he said
The Saudi foreign minister said that it's not strange that Qatar approaches Iran, because "Tehran is the top sponsor of terrorism. It's also an isolated country from the world."
As for Turkey, Jubair said Ankara has told Riyadh that its stance is neutral.
"We hope this stance will prevail," he said, adding that "the crisis is related to the GCC countries. it's also pertaining to a world topic which is to halt finance for terrorism," he said.
"The four countries have taken these measures due to suffering from Qatar's policies," he said.
"We uncovered several terrorist plots against some countries," the Saudi FM made it clear.
He asserted that efforts were maintained to prevent terrorist attacks and foil them.
President Abdel Fattah El Sisi held a phone discussion Wednesday with US President Donald Trump to discuss ties and efforts exerted to curb danger of terrorism, Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry said answering a question on chances of dialogue with Doha.
In their phone conversation, the two leaders asserted all means of terrorism support shall be put to an end, the minister said, adding that it was achieve this target while adopting twisted strategies.
The presidents agreed on coordination to overcome terror challenges by putting an end for its fund resources.
Leave a Comment