Egypt reaffirms trust in Saudi investigation into Khashoggi case: FM
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Thursday that it has been paying close attention to Saudi Arabia’s investigation into the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
Saudi Arabia's top prosecutor announced Thursday that the kingdom is seeking the death penalty for five suspects charged with ordering and carrying out the killing of dissident Saudi writer Jamal Khashoggi at the kingdom's consulate in Istanbul.
“Egypt appreciates the procedures that Saudi Arabia takes in this regard and hopes all the parties concerned with the case to adhere to the current course of investigation, away from politicalization and overbidding,” the ministry’s statement said.
Khashoggi, a prominent critic of Saudi policy, was killed in the country's Istanbul consulate on Oct. 2, after a struggle, by a lethal injection dose and his body was dismembered and taken out of the building, deputy public prosecutor and spokesman Shaalan al-Shaalan told reporters.
Egypt further reaffirmed its full trust in the Saudi investigations and the progress it made so far with utter integrity and credibility.