Griffiths told the Security Council earlier this month that the pace of fighting in Yemen has increased and “the Red Sea is now a theatre of war.” – AFP/Mohammed Huwais Griffiths told the Security Council earlier this month that the pace of fighting in Yemen has increased and “the Red Sea is now a theatre of war.” – AFP/Mohammed Huwais

UN to hold peace talks between Yemeni gov't, Houthis in Geneva

Sat, Aug. 18, 2018

CAIRO – 18 August 2018: UN envoy for Yemen Martin Griffiths announced Friday that formal invitations were sent to the Yemeni government and Houthi rebels for talks on Sept. 6 in Geneva.


Both parties are invited to a peace talk at ending a three-year conflict that has killed over 10,000 people.


Griffiths told the Security Council earlier this month that the pace of fighting in Yemen has increased and “the Red Sea is now a theatre of war.” According to Griffiths, only the Yemeni government and the Houthis were invited for now.


“The time is past to resume the political process and he hopes to discuss a framework for peace negotiations with the internationally recognized government and Houthi rebels,” Griffiths added.


On Friday, Yemeni Minister of Local Administration Abdel-Raqeeb Fateh accused Houthi militants of storming a World Food Program (WFP) warehouse in Hodeidah and turning it into barracks.


Yemen has been suffering a wracking violence since 2014 when the Iran-backed Houthi militants began seizing parts of the country, including the capital Sanaa, and Hudaydah, Yemen’s largest port.


The fighting in Yemen has displaced more than two million people, caused a cholera outbreak infecting nearly one million people and put the country on the brink of famine.

There are no comments on this article.

Leave a comment