A man holds a placard during a vigil to commemorate Giulio Regeni, who was found murdered in Cairo a year ago, in downtown Rome, Italy January 25, 2017. A man holds a placard during a vigil to commemorate Giulio Regeni, who was found murdered in Cairo a year ago, in downtown Rome, Italy January 25, 2017.

Regeni case still ongoing, Italy receives related CCTV footage

Wed, May. 30, 2018
CAIRO – 30 May 2018: The cooperation between Egypt and Italy’s public prosecutors is still ongoing in the case of murdered Italian student Giulio Regeni, according to an official joint statement issued on Tuesday. It was stated that Egypt handed Italy a final copy of the CCTV footage related to the case.

Further meetings between delegates from both the Italian and Egyptian prosecutors are scheduled to take place soon to discuss the latest updates regarding the case and the findings of the recordings.

The statement issued by both the Italian and Egyptian prosecutors said that a phone call between Prosecutor General Nabil Sadek and his Italian counterpart, Giuseppe Pignatone, took place on Monday. The call discussed the efforts exerted by both sides during the roughly one year of continued investigations.

Both sides affirmed their serious intentions to continue their hard work until reaching the truth.

Earlier this month an Italian delegation arrived in Cairo to retrieve CCTV footage from the case of Regeni, an Italian graduate killed in Cairo two years ago. The delegation was headed by Rome's deputy-prosecutor, Sergio Colaiocco.

Last January, Sadek accepted a request by Pignatone to send experts to retrieve the footage captured by cameras at the Dokki metro station.

Regeni was kidnapped and murdered in Cairo in 2016. The Egyptian authorities have repeatedly denied any involvement in Regeni's murder.

The Regeni case has strained ties between Egypt and Italy, which had recalled its ambassador over the case. Relations were restored in August 2017 when Rome said it would return its ambassador to Cairo and continue to search for Regeni's killers.

“It is clear now why some powers tried to spoil our relations using Italian student Giulio Regeni’s case. I promise you all again to bring his killers to trial,” President Abdel Fatah al-Sisi said during the inauguration ceremony of the Zohr natural gas field last January.
There are no comments on this article.

Leave a comment