Secretary General of the Arab League Ahmed Aboul Gheit - AFP Secretary General of the Arab League Ahmed Aboul Gheit - AFP

Abul Gheit slams Syrian regime attacks on East Ghouta

By: MENA
Wed, Feb. 7, 2018
CAIRO - 7 February 2018: Arab League Secretary General Ahmed Abul Gheit condemned on Wednesday the attacks launched by Syrian regime forces in East Ghouta over the past few days.

In a press release on Wednesday, Abul Gheit called for immediate halt of the military campaign in view of the precarious humanitarian condition.

He urged allowing humanitarian aid into the city which has been under siege since 2013.

Abul Gheit's Spokesman Mahmoud Afifi said continued attacks and the siege imposed on East Ghouta put de-escalation efforts on brinkmanship.

East Ghouta is part of an agreement clinched last year in Astana on creating de-escalation zones in the war-hit country.

Afifi added that attacking three hospitals over the past three days portends an unprecedented humanitarian crisis.

Abul-Gheit urged the agreement's guarantor states to exercise power to put the ceasefire into effect and swiftly allow humanitarian aid access, Afifi said.
 
There are no comments on this article.

Leave a comment