Helwan church attacker was shot down after he opened fire at police personnel and civilians – screenshot of a video circulated on the social media Helwan church attacker was shot down after he opened fire at police personnel and civilians – screenshot of a video circulated on the social media

Church attacker confesses to joining terrorist cell

Sun, Dec. 31, 2017
CAIRO – 31 December 2017: Helwan Public Prosecution transferred the investigations file of the Martyr Mina Church terror attack to the Supreme State Security Prosecution.

The investigations revealed that the terrorist, Ibrahim Ismail Mostafa, was riding a motorbike and holding a gun. Mostafa shot 150 bullets, killing 10 civilians and a police officer, and injuring another nine.

After shooting, the terrorist got off the motorbike and walked on the streets, continuing his shooting spree. The security forces exchanged fire with the terrorist and managed to arrest him. He was transferred to the Military Production Hospital and underwent successful surgery to remove bullets from his foot.

During investigations, Mostafa confessed that he joined a terrorism cell in 2015 and later joined other terrorist elements. He said that the first terrorist operation that he took part in was with the first cell he joined; it was the attack on a microbus affiliated to Helwan police station.He later left this cell and committed a terrorist operation alone, killing a citizen of Helwan and stealing his car. He then headed to Upper Egypt, where he hid for six months, according to ElDostor newspaper

He confessed that he was planning to form a terrorist cell, so he returned from Upper Egypt to South Giza; he committed terrorist attacks alone, then started persuading people to join him.

On Friday morning, he decided to return to Helwan, riding his motorbike. He planned to open fire towards a shop owned by Copts, with the goal of drawing the attention of Security Forces; then,go to the nearby church and carry out his hostile attack.

Heading to the church on foot, after leaving his motorbike nearby, Mostafa attempted to storm the church by opening fire at the police personnel guarding it. However, the personnel shot back. Mostafa attempted to escape to the Western street but was arrested.

The church attack took place on Friday morning when two armed men used firearms to target dozens of Christian worshippers attending a religious service, according to a statement by the Ministry of Interior.

According to the statement, attackers opened fire at a household appliances shop, then headed to the church, where they attempted to trespass the church's perimeter security.

The security forces were able to capture one of the attackers after shooting him, managed to defuse an explosive belt that was fasten around the militant's chest, while the other one fled the scene, the Ministry said.
There are no comments on this article.

Leave a comment